doors

doors

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oh Danny Boy........Pass the Medical Marijuana

I'm amazed how many of my friends have been reaching out to show their support to me - it's really overwhelming.

This morning I awoke to an email from my old friend Danny.  He was one of my brothers best friends in high school - and the guy who every girl had a crush on.  Tall, well built and extremely handsome, Danny was the guy who could make you laugh at anything.  I remember him jumping on my bed late one night after being out with the guys  waking me from a dead sleep - singing "I want to be a cowboy - and you can be my cowgirl!"  Believe me - most girls would have died to be his cowgirl.

Danny and I shared a love of the theater - and performed in H.S. shows - thought he is older than me - I had the pleasure of playing his mother - Queen Fastrada - to his character Pippin - in well, Pippin.  I had a blast working with him - they are some of my fondes memories of my theatrical beginnings.

A visit from Danny to my college campus in 1990 was a welcome event.  We laughed and giggled hours - being young and ridiculous - and ......... dare I say .......... partook of the "happy plant."  This lead to us walking through the drive in at McDonald's where we could barely order chicken mcnuggets to split because we were laughing so hard.

When I moved back to Hagerstown, I reconnected with Danny - everyone calls him Dan now - but I can't seem to do it.  Still tall, well built, extremely handsome and hilarious, we spent some time getting reacquainted.  I came to learn that my suspicions were correct and Danny was gay.  When he told me, he wasn't sure how I would react.  I remember saying - "ok - great, but I already knew."  We both laughed.

In a town where everyone is conservative, it took ALOT of strength to come out.  I was really proud of him.  Today he is confident, successful and in love!  He is an inspiration to me - showing me what shedding your protective layer can bring - true happiness.

Thinking of these memories led me to question my pain management.  Why can't they make it fun?  Morphine and Vicodin just knock you out.  I will have to have breathing therapy in the hospital because coughing and breathing deep will be a struggle at first.  Wouldn't it make more sense to kill 2 birds with one stone?  Prescribe medical marijuana - I mean if it works for glaucoma patients - why not gastric bypass patients.  I suppose it may have the counter effect of giving you the munchies - bu then again maybe my new physiology will combat that.  It's too much for me to research - but the medical community really needs to look into this one!

Thanks to Danny - who loves me happy or sad, thick or thin.  You make the world a better, happier place - and I'm so grateful to have you in my life. 

XO                

No comments:

Post a Comment